Wednesday, June 16, 2010

SCHIAVONE MAKES HISTORY AT FRENCH OPEN

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 -- Crowds roared in cheer as Francesca Schiavone fell to the clay tennis court at Roland Garros, after winning the French Open title for ladies’ singles.
Francesca Schiavone
Francesca Schiavone
PicSearch


Schiavone has forever marked tennis history for being the first ever Italian woman to ever win a Grand Slam title as well as the French Open. During the match, Schiavone played a memorable game against Sam Stosur, the Australian favorite. The memorable game against Stosur ended in a 6-4, 7-6(2) game, that included a very anxious tiebreak.

After Schiavone fell to the clay court, she stood up and embraced her opponent before moving towards the stands and disappeared among the numerous spectators who patted her back in support. Schiavone embraced every single moment of her victory after working real hard to achieve the much coveted title.

When thinking about the precarious tiebreaker, Schiavone remarked, “I was feeling much more energy, more and more and more. I couldn’t stop it. I really felt that it was my moment. I took it. I didn’t care about nothing. I wanted to take that point and play my tennis. It was the moment.”

A year ago, the same two players met each other during the first round. That time, however, Stosur won the match, and it was over for Schiavone before it even warmed up. Lessons learned and hard work after, Schiavone played hard and played smart, which allowed her to walk away with the cup and a history making achievement to boot

No comments:

Post a Comment